Thursday 26 October 2023

Montagu, Western Cape

 I recently had the privaledge to visit the beautiful western cape town of Montagu.
Below, my home for a week and wow was it fabulous.


However getting there was quite a mission. At the time of my arrival in Cape Town, they were experiencing excessive rain and flooding. My 2 hour trip from the airport to Montagu turned into 22 hours. I was not able to travel into Montagu due to flooding all around the quaint little town. I had no option but to do a stay-over in Rawsonville (with family) till then next morning after the water had subsided. 

Below are two similar shots. 
One leaving Johannesburg, the other arriving in Cape Town.

 

Just some images showing the extent of the flooding in the area.

 

And of course I sniffed out a little roadside gem..... Affie Plaas Padstal

 

..... and a home made venison pie and fresh strong cup of 
coffee always goes down well.

 

My second attempt at reaching Montagu was more successful. 
However on arrival it was clear that I would not be able to reach my brother's place. 
The low-level bridge and only route to their home in Montagu was flooded and severely so.




With my vehicle safely parked at another location in town, the only way to reach 
my destination was to walk the foot bridge. 

The effort was totally worth it. My accommodation for the next week was in 
the most beautiful location, totally breathtaking.



Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and flowers.

 
After a hectic drive being able to sit back, stare at the breathtaking view 
and enjoy a great glass of wine, was so welcoming.

 

I was safe and dry but the area was still taking a beating. 
The nearby hiking trail parking lot was under water. 
So my intention of taking a hike would have to stand over till another time. 



Eventhough I was there to collect my mom, I still had to work. 
However I always make time to have fun. 
So I did take a solo drive around the area.

Buying dried fruit at Cape Dry Montagu is a must

 

Enjoyed a great lunch at the Montagu Golf Club @Bistro on the Green.

 

Interesting roadside stall Die Kloof Padstal


Round trip:  Montagu, Bonnievale, Greyton, Villiers, Worcester, 
Robertson, Ashton, Montagu - Breathtaking.








Nothing quite like a spectaular sunrise.

 

Quick stop over in Strand
Cannot be in the Cape and NOT visit this place......


 

and everytime I leave the beautiful Western Cape,
I feel like I am leaving a piece of my heart behind. 

 















No comments:

Post a Comment